Bacon Apple Pie
Recipe - No. 8
1 Hr. 15 Min.
Behind the Recipe
I Read Somewhere Abe Lincoln Liked Bacon & Apples
And that intrigued me. Because what’s a guy like Lincoln weigh? 85? 90 kgs? For his height and frame, that’s amazing!
And that got me thinking… If Honest Abe can trim down to 85 eating bacon and apples, why can’t I? So, a few days go by, and I get to horsing around in the kitchen one evening, when I was struck by this thought… maybe the most American thought I ever had… maybe the most American thought anyone has ever had… Bacon. Apple. Pie. On the grill.
And look, I’m not saying it belongs in your diet, but I dare say the 16th President of the United States would be proud.
- 1 unbaked 23 cm pie shell
- ¾ cup packed-in brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups granny smith apples (42.5g of apples peeled and sliced in 12mm widths.)
- 8-12 slices applewood smoked bacon
- Place pie shell on baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend the brown sugar, corn-starch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves together with your fingertips.
- Add in apples and toss in mixture to coat.
- Place coated apple slices into the pie shell (including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl).
- Weave the uncooked bacon on top of the pie filling, starting from the center and working your way out to the edges. Weave in an over-under pattern with 5 pieces going vertically and five pieces going horizontally.
- Trim the edges and pinch the crust to seal the filling in.
Preheat the grill to 180 degrees, and prep for indirect heat. If you have a 4-burner, ignite the two outside burners, leaving an area in the center of the grill for indirect heat. If you have fewer than 4 burners, use only one of the outside burners, leaving an area for indirect heat.
Place on grill over indirect heat and let cook for 1 hour 15 minutes (checking periodically) until golden brown and bacon is crisp.
Allow pie to cool for 1 hour before serving.